Friday, February 4, 2011

Adam's Cinnamon Bananas

My brother is a wonderful cook. I'm a decent cook in that I can follow a recipe, but my brother is truly exceptional. He can take any set of ingredients and turn it in to a delicious meal. Sometimes his dishes veer into Paula Dean territory (think butter & extra cheese), but they are nonetheless superb. Over Christmas, my brother decided to cook a healthy snack for himself. He grabbed a banana, spray butter, cinnamon, orange juice and VOILA- heaven was created. This truly is the most delicious snack I have ever tasted. In the last month, I have easily consumed 30+ bananas thanks to this recipe. As someone who probably consumed fewer than 10 in the preceding year, that says a lot about this recipe.

Tip: Make sure the bananas are ripe. I don't mean just that they are yellow- they should be starting to soften some and should have a few black spots on the outside. While the recipe is still delicious when the bananas are not as ripe, the ripeness takes the recipe an extra step towards euphoria.

Ingredients:
- 1 banana, ripe, sliced down the middle twice into four parts
- cooking spray
- spray "butter" (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
- ground cinnamon
- orange juice

Pre-heat the stove on medium. Spray the pan generously with cooking spray. Slice the banana into four equal parts. Lay the banana flat on the pan so that the inside of the banana is facing down. Spray the top with spray butter. Allow to cook for a few minutes until the banana starts to brown on the bottom. Flip over, pour cinnamon over the bananas. Allow to cook until banana browns on the bottom. Pour a splash of orange juice in the pan. Allow to simmer for 1 minute. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment